Tuesday, November 6, 2012

"You are my Sunshine" Party

So to show you what a terrible blogger I am... I am going to post some pictures from June.  Yes, June.  I have been meaning to post them for a while, but I'm just now getting around to it. They are on Facebook, but I want to document the reason behind the party.

In June, I helped Lantz throw a "Thank You" party for some awesome youth small group leaders.  Every Sunday in the school year Lantz teaches for about 20 minutes, and then the youth group breaks up into small groups to discuss the lesson more in depth and in age appropriate ways.  They are in groups according to their grade, and each grade level has 2 sets of AMAZING small group leaders.  These people are incredible!  They not only invest in our teens on Sunday morning, but also take time out of their busy lives to call, text, email, and write letters to teens in their groups.  They host events at their house for their small groups, and even come to events throughout the year to continue to build relationships.  They study with our teens and love on our teens and for that we are incredibly grateful.

So because these people are so awesome, we wanted to show our gratitude by throwing a party just for them.  We planned a dinner and fellowship night just for them.  It was awesome to also have a few of our teens help me decorate.  Our theme was, "You are my Sunshine."  We tried to make it nice and summer-ey with lemons & lace, but not to girly so we added a rustic feel with different things including an old chicken coop to hold the plates and burlap intermixed in the decor.  My sweet friend Andrea made her incredible gourmet cupcakes for our Candy Bar-- they were vanilla cupcakes with a lemon buttercream, and french toast cupcakes with a maple syrup buttercream... umm... pretty much heaven in your mouth!

It was a super fun night, but it was a lot of work to put together.  I really enjoy party planning, but I'm not going to lie.... this one was a little out of my talent zone.  I normally just decorate one main table with a few pops of party elsewhere, but this one included a food table, a candy bar table, a drink station, and then four tables for people to sit at to eat.  We also decorated the door from outside the hall into our Family Room where the party was held.  We didn't want them to feel like they were walking into a classroom and the church building, but kinda like a front door into someone's home.  Oh- we also had a fun playlist of "sunshine" themed music playing like, "You are my Sunshine," "I'm walking on Sunshine," and "Heavenly Sunlight" just to name a few.  We also had a few rounds of "THANK you" Bingo where we used old buttons and had several prizes.

All in all, it was loads of fun, and I'm glad that we were able to honor our sweet adults who pour into our teens so much!  Here are a few pictures of all the decor:




Drink station- Sweet Tea, Water, & Fancy Lemonade

Door to party- wreath was a door prize

Candy Bar

Candy Bar

Food Table



3 comments:

  1. That is awesome Jessica!! I especially love how you decorated the door!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad I found your blog! I came across this through pinterest. My husband and I are throwing a thank you party for some youth and college leaders and I was looking for ideas! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your sweet comments! I had a great time throwing this party! I would love to see pictures of your party when you are all done!

      Delete