Saturday, February 25, 2012

Sawyer's Birthing Story

Okay.... so... I'm finally getting around to introducing my new bundle of pure joy!  (Having 2 little ones doesn't allow for much personal time, so the blog has been put on the back burner.  Kennedie & Lantz are swimming with the cousins this morning while they are in Dallas, and so with it just being Sawyer & me I'm able to get a couple of blogs busted out this morning.)


Okay... so, back up 10 days ago (Whoa... she's already 10 days old?! Really?).  We went into the hospital at 5:00 am to be induced.  They didn't really start the whole process until close to 8:00 though.  Apparently they had a full house of women in Labor and Delivery and by the time they got to me & my paperwork was complete it was a little later than I expected.  So, they started my petocin and antibiotics around 8:00 am after I had changed into the fabulous hospital gown, got an iv, and they hooked up the machines to monitor Sawyer's heartbeat and my contractions.  At this point I felt no pain.

My doctor came in around 10:00 am to break my water.  I thought that I'd go into some pretty bad contractions because as soon as my water broke with Kennedie I quickly went into pain.  Not the case with Sawyer.  I didn't start having pain with my contractions until around 11 or 11:30.  I asked for my epidural at that point and they didn't get around to giving it to me until about 12:30ish.  Just like with Kennedie, my epidural did not go so great.  Apparently my spine does not like to cooperate with the whole epidural thing.  Just like with Kennedie they missed and went a little to the right with my epidural.  It hurt really bad (worse than any pain I've ever experienced) and then the anesthesiologist started pushing on it and moving it around and it HURT LIKE CRAZY.  Lantz said he had a really hard time watching this happen.  They pulled it out and tried again.  Luckily it worked that time, but the medicine wasn't strong enough so I was still feeling my contractions.  They eventually upped the meds and I went numb and felt great because I couldn't feel my contractions anymore.  The head nurse was in there with me when my epidural went in and I asked her if I was just a wimp or if it was bad... she replied saying, "That was pretty rough... probably the worst I've ever seen."  Awesome.  Well, at least I know that I'm not just a big wimp and that that was all really as bad as I thought it was.  But.... it did help me enjoy labor more because I wasn't in pain.

Anyways, I wasn't far along at that point... maybe a four if I remember correctly.  Well, by 3:30 I was dialated to an 8 and they were calling for my doctor.  She was supposed to deliver someone else first, but they called her to my room because I was going to have sweet Sawyer soon.  They got me all ready and I pushed about 8 or 9 times and then she was here!  (A little different from Kennedie... I pushed for almost 2 & 1/2 hours with her.)  My doctor then let me help pull her out, which was so cool!  She came straight to my chest and stayed there for about 45 minutes.  They did all the cleaning up and cord cutting and checks on her while she snuggled next to me.  It was awesome!

Sawyer officially arrived at 4:03pm on Wednesday, February 15, 2012.  She weighed in at 7lbs & 8.5oz and was 20. 5" long.  (Kennedie was 6lb 7oz and only 20" long, so Miss Sawyer was a bit bigger than her big sister.)   Some other comparisons between my two girls:  Sawyer has thicker and darker hair than Kennedie had.  Sawyer's eyelashes are not as long as her sisters were.  Kennedie had bigger ears, but Sawyer seems to have a bigger nose than her sister.  I believe that Sawyer has more of my skin tone (more olive) where as Kennedie is much more pale like her Daddy.  Sawyer has much longer fingers, feet, toes, and arms.... I think she will be one tall girl if I had to guess.

Lantz & I again were the only ones in the delivery room which was awesome.  I love that we will hold that special bond that no one else will.  One of the nurses took pictures for us, and she did a fantastic job.  We decided long ago that Kennedie would be the first person to get to meet Sawyer.  After they finished cleaning Sawyer up and I breast fed her, Lantz went to the hall to get Kennedie.  He brought her in to meet her baby sister, and the look on her face was absolutely priceless!  She was so excited!  It was the sweetest thing ever!  She wanted to sit by her and hold her and kiss her.  It was just adorable.  Sawyer brought Kennedie a present too, which she thought was pretty neat.

After we had some alone time as a family of four the rest of the family started piling in a few at a time to meet our new baby girl.  It was such a different experience than when we had Kennedie.  We were in Las Vegas and none of our family was there for the birth, and so it was just us enjoying her until the next day when a few friends stopped by.  But with Sawyer,  the flood gates opened of people coming to see her... it was such a blessing!

The first night in the hospital was a little rough.  We only got a few minutes of sleep here and there.  Sawyer wanted to cluster feed all night long which did not allow for much sleeping at all.  I must say that Sawyer latched on like a champ and she likes to eat.  She seems to feed longer than Kennedie did in the beginning.  We'll see if this pattern continues.... if so she may not be as petite as Kennedie.

The next day in the hospital we had lots of friends come by to visit and in between we tried to catch some cat naps.  We decided that we would go ahead and leave the hospital since the doctor gave us the choice.  Lantz's mom was in town and watching Kennedie for us, so she came up to the hospital to help us pack up and head home.  It was great because Kennedie got to be there with us as we all headed home as a family of four.  Sawyer wore the same outfit that Kennedie wore going home... it was neat to put it on her.

So.... here is the important part... PICTURES.  (I am not going to post everyone who came to see Sawyer- that would just be way to many pictures.  They are on my Facebook though if you'd like to see.)  Okay, here's a sampling:


























8 comments:

  1. Congrats!! She is beautiful and you look great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing...and she's dressed so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!! What a beautiful blessing and family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a doll! These pictures made me tear up! I am so happy for you Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet story! Sawyer is beautiful and you all look SO happy!! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a sweet sweet story and such a cute baby girl! I love K's face when she see her sister! blessings to you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is adorable... congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is so precious & I LOVE the pictures of that sweet big sister meeting her new bff! So glad for all of you that it was s perfect day!

    ReplyDelete