Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Sunrise on the Battery: A Book Review


Sunrise on the Battery by Beth Webb Hart is not typically the kind of book that I would pick up.  I'm very much drawn to books that have a nice little love story in them (even if it's a tiny one).  When I decided I'd like to try this book out I was a little hesitant because I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to get into it easily...... and, well, I was right.  I didn't really get into the book until there was about 100 pages left.  I will say that once I did find more interest in the book it was hard to put down.  I really ended up liking this book and I'm glad that I read it.

Mary Lynn is a wife and a mother of three girls.  She and her husband both come from very meek beginnings and long to give their girls the life that they never had.  They make a name for themselves in Charleston among the rich and elite and have earned their way into a new social class.  As they climb the social ladder in Charleston they push their girls in every area of life that will possibly get them ahead: they speak multiple languages, play multiple instruments, are forced into studying rigorously, and they travel the world just to name a few.

Through this life Mary Lynn has decided that she wants to go to church and wishes that her family would also come along with her & become Christians.  Mary Lynn specifically prays that her husband Jackson, who wants nothing to do with God or religion, will have a change of heart and become a follower of Christ.  Amazingly enough after a course of events Jackson decides to whole-heartidly give his life to Christ and become a Christian.  Although this is exactly what Mary Lynn prays for, she is not ready for the changes that Jackson wants to make by committing social suicide.  Jackson is sold out and he wants to change every part of their life to realign with what scripture teaches, but Mary Lynn learns that her heart was never as changed for Jesus as Jackson's heart.  Will she decide it's all just to much and divorce Jackson and run away with long time friend Mark Waters, or will she truly give her heart to Christ and learn to serve him wholly and not be lukewarm?


Again, I really enjoyed the last parts of this book.  It really challenged me to look in the mirror and see if my life reflects Mary Lynn's lukewarm attitude or if it looks like Jackson's sold-out-for-Jesus-no-matter-what attitude.  I found myself reading at the end inspired by Jackson and wanting to do some of the same things that he was doing, but wondering if I had a fizzled out attitude about Christ like Mary Lynn.  So although this book is fiction, it truly made me ask some hard questions, and I'm grateful that I read the book.

I would rate this book 4 out of 5 stars and I would recommend it to others.

(Book provided by booksneeze.com.)

No comments:

Post a Comment