Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Style...

This may be kind of random.  I've been thinking about my closet lately & my clothes.  I've come to the realization that each day I tend to slip further and further out of style.  Not because I want to- it's just happening.  There are other things that are more important than what I am wearing.  I'm coming to grips with it..... slowly.

I mean, I really love fashion and style and dressing up and the trends and shopping and looking put together... but all of those things can be time consuming and expensive.  Lets face it- I am a stay at home mom (which doesn't bring in any income- but is worth more than anything in the whole world),  my husband is a minister, we have one child and one on the way.  You do the math.

We are a pretty frugal family.  We don't have cable, I don't have a smart phone- I have a free phone with no data plan, I meticulously plan each meal we are eating each week so as to not buy any "extra" at the grocery store, I buy all off brand or whatever is on sale that week, I have been cutting coupons, we use cloth diapers (not for the sake of the environment but for the sake of the pocket book), this summer our air conditioner stayed on 80 degrees, we don't eat out very often (away from youth group), we don't "go shopping" unless we are using birthday money or Christmas money, when going out and about to run errands if I know I will be out during a meal time I pack a sandwich so we won't have to spend money on a "fast meal," and etc..... (I'd love any tips on how you save money.)

I say all this to say- these are the "prices" we pay for me to stay at home.  I feel so blessed and so grateful that I have a husband who supports this decision and who is willing to go without so that we may invest in our children at home.  Going from two incomes to one has been a stretch and there have been material sacrifices that we have had to make, but it is worth it every day.

Any who- back to style.  So with all of these cuts we've had to make lets just say keeping my wardrobe up to date is not at the top of the priority list.  My birthday and Christmas have become more exciting to my closet because that's when I get to "splurge" and update the closet a little with any money received or any stylish presents I may have gotten.  I have been thinking alot about how much is in my closet though.  I have lots of clothes- I'm not going to lie.  But- you will find pieces from high school and college in there (yes, I graduated high school 10 years ago and college 6 years ago).  I'm not a hoarder, so it's weird there are some things in there still.  So.... I need to do some cleaning out.  I have some pieces that I have been holding onto because I super liked them at one point in time and I'm holding out on retiring them.  I also have pieces that are there- just in case I need it for..... whatever the case may be.

When we were traveling through Europe a few years ago I noticed that (in Amsterdam particularly) everyone there was SUPER trendy.... and I do mean everyone and SUPER.  I asked my friend who lived there why everyone was so trendy and why it was so obvious.  She went on to tell me that our closets in America are HUGE and that there they are itty-bitty- I mean super small or just a wardrobe.  She said that people really only had a handful of outfits and that if they bought something new they had to get rid of something old to make room for it.  She said that people wore the same things over and over, versus people here only wearing things once every so often & changing their look up so much.  Well there is a grand idea.  It makes sense to only have 3 or 4 super cute outfits that you wear over and over that are trendy and up to date and that when you get something new you rotate out something old.

So I've been thinking about that.  We have a couple of consignment shops here in McKinney that are pretty great and they give you pretty good deals on old clothing.  I am thinking I will clean my closet out (pretty good cleaning, not just one or two shirts here or there) and take the money that I can get from my old clothes and invest in a few cute pieces.  I'm thinking that as new styles come I'll sell those old and again take the money and try to buy another piece that may be more trendy.  I like the idea alot.  I think it will help me simplify my closet (cause lets face it- I'm not going to work every day- most days I stay in my pjs) and maybe find a little of my style back.

Sounds good right.  Well enter the new problem- pregnancy.  I am now currently getting too big for regular clothes, but I'm still a little too small for maternity clothes.  I am in this awful in between stage and I'm not super excited about getting to the maternity stage cause lets face it- maternity clothes are not cute... and if they are cute they are way (and I mean way) outside of my budget.  So yeah.  Here I sit- not really fitting into any clothes and the ones I will soon fit in are not cute, not trendy, not stylish- just big enough for the belly.  And really... who wants to invest in maternity clothes?  I hope to be in and out of them as quick as possible.

I guess I will just wait.  I will wait until I am out of maternity clothes again (which brings in another new problem of clothing that will easily allow for breastfeeding... don't get me started there), so that I can sell lots (or give away) and buy a little to revamp the wardrobe that might get me somewhere back close to being in style or at least not looking too much out of style.

And, "Dear Self," does it even matter?

On top of all of this I have to remind myself how selfish I am sometimes and how blessed I truly am.  There are so many people out there who care nothing about style- they are just grateful to have clothes at all.  I am lucky to not only have so many clothes (regardless of style), but to have clothes that match, clean clothes, and clothes that fit.... and to top it off shoes, jewelry, and purses.  Ugh.  Sometimes I make myself so mad worrying about such silly things.

This was such a random post. Really.  Sorry if you stuck with it the whole way.

So.... no I am not wearing the latest and greatest outfit or new pair of shoes or carrying the cutest bag, nor is my figure anywhere in sight, but I am the most blessed girl ever.  I have an INCREDIBLE husband and an amazing little girl and a precious new little girl on the way.  Style is overrated- family is not.

6 comments:

  1. Nice post.. style is overrated and family is not. Love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jess, you always look super cute... even if you don't think so... I think so! And I can see you sitting at home, in your in-between stage, wishing any cute outfit would actually fit. I've been there. I know how you are feeling. You're halfway through and then it'll be time to get back into regular clothes (and enjoy your new SWEET girl - which is the reason your in-between right now) and it'll be fun to clean out your closet and buy some new things. It's a great idea!

    I love your frugalness and your outlook. You are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man! I can SO relate. Thanks for posting this. I am in the process of selling a ton of stuff right now and am hoping to get a few new pieces with my money. But, I'm with you. I would way rather stay home with my kids, too.

    P.S. Every time you post a pic of yourself on your blog, I always think you look so cute and in-style! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this post!! Just going into any store with clothing right now makes me anxious, because I know that it will be another year or so before my body is back to it's pre-baby phase. When I went to Europe this summer, I came home and cleaned out a ton of stuff, because I learned to wear stuff over and over again using different pieces, and I decided I didn't need the other stuff...and then I got pregnant, so thinking about clothes right now gives me a headache. One thing I did after I was pregnant with Lofton was loan my maternity clothes to some friends that were pregnant, and in return, I have friends that are loaning me their maternity clothes this time around because we don't have any money to spend on clothes that are only worn for 3-4 months. I'd stay in my pj's all year long as long as it means I get to stay home with my babies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jess,

    Great post!! I've been there and I would do ANYTHING to turn back time and be in the situation to stay at home. As far as the closet clean out....I say if you hang to things long enough they will come back in style. However, I would have to say that you look stylish in your white t-shirt and jeans....you are just super cute like that!!

    I think that is a great idea though to have a few nice outfits....simplicity at its finest!!

    You said it best....style is overated, family is NOT!!

    ReplyDelete