Saturday, April 30, 2011

Fairer Than Morning: A Book Review



I was so excited to get Fairer Than Morning by Rosslyn Elliott in the mail last week.  This book was so good.  I could not put it down.  I think that Rosslyn Elliott might be a new favorite author of mine.  Her story was captivating & easy to follow.  I loved that there were several different subplots in this book tracking under the main plot, and I love how it all connected.  It was very well written, & I like that there was not alot of "fluff" to the book.... every sentence seemed valuable to the story line.  I also enjoyed that this book was historical fiction and based on real people.

Ann Miller is the daughter of a master saddler & circuit preacher.  Her mother died while giving birth to Ann's youngest sister.  At 16 Ann wants begs her father to let her marry her sweetheart Eli Bowen, but her father doesn't comply.  At this, Eli is not sure he wants to wait for her.  While this story is taking place, across the country Will Hanby (who has lost both of his parents) begins to work for the cruel saddler Jacob Good as his indentured servant.

When Ann travels with her father across country her path intersects with the servant Will Hanby.  Ann is struck with sympathy for Will who is beaten and starved by his cruel master.  Ann doesn't know how to help Will and after leaving him she continues to think of him.  Will eventually runs away from his master & makes his way to the Miller farm to seek refuge.  While Will helps Mr. Miller bring slaves to safety he discovers he must stop running and return to his cruel master to keep the Miller family from harm.  Eventually Ann is faced with the choice of her suitor Eli's proposal and the handsome Allan Burbridge's inquiries and feelings that she doesn't quit understand for the saddler's apprentice, Will Hanby.


Honestly this book was SOOOOOOO good.  Although I would totally recommend this book, there is one part of this book that I didn't like.  I didn't like the subplot of Will and a young girl he was helping, Emmie.  While Will works for the mean Master Good, he helps Emmie escape the poor house.  While he helps her escape her bad situation, he is unable to control his own fleshly desires and sleeps with Emmie.  Although Will hadn't completely devoted himself to God at this point it really was a disappointing part to read in the book.  As Christian fiction I wasn't expecting that part of the book.  Although there is no description of that scene the author still makes it clear what happens.  But, I appreciate how the author shows how sin can have consequences and how Will must wrestle with the guilt of his sin and seek the forgiveness of a loving God.  Looking back I didn't like reading that part of the book, but now after finishing it I can appreciate the author showing the truth of sin & how broken people can be restored to a loving God.

I would give this book 5 stars & recommend it to others.  

This book was provided by booksneeze.com.  Thanks booksneeze for the awesome book!

1 comment:

  1. I recently finished She Walks in Beauty by Siri Mitchell, and I really enjoyed it. It seems similar to this one; historical Christian fiction. It's about a girl finding peace with herself and with God instead of scheming to conform to society's standards, it was really good.

    ReplyDelete