Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Mountains Bow Down: A book review



The past few weeks I have been reading the book, The Mountains Bow Down, by Sibella Giorello.  I have never read anything by this author before, so I did not have any judgments going in.  Overall, it is a really good book and I really enjoyed it.  I will say that it is not one of the best books I've ever read, but it was a good read.

This book is about an FBI agent, Raleigh Harmon, who is on vacation with her family.  Raleigh has many personal things going on in her life including doubts about her fiance & her mother not knowing the truth about her profession.  They are on a cruise ship headed to Alaska when tragedy strikes.  Judy Carpenter, wife of a famous actor, is found dead hanging off the ship.  It is first believed to be a suicide, but quickly turns into a murder case.  Luckily for the ship agent Raleigh Harmon is on board ready to take over.  She asks for assistance & low and behold the arrogant Jack Stephensan is assigned to the case.  Raleigh had worked with Jack previously & could not stand to be around him, but suddenly this attractive man is not as rude as she remembers.  This book unravels the crime of Judy Carpenter while allowing a love story to unfold.

Some details:

The book starts with Raleigh already on the cruise ship, & so the story picks immediately at the very beginning.  I liked that because I don't feel like the author "wasted time" getting into the plot.

When the author described the murder scene/ suicide scene it was hard to follow because they were talking about types of knots, types of ropes, & ship terminology that I was not familiar with.  I had to reread parts over & over to try to understand exactly what was being discussed.  Eventually a few chapters later it is all made clear.

The "love story" didn't pick up until around page 70.  I wish that it would have started just a little sooner to get me into the book just a little quicker.

About a hundred pages into the book there was a random chase through the woods that seemed a little awkward because they didn't even have any leads yet as to who the killer might be.  It just seemed kinda fake at that point.

The author is very attentive to detail in this book.  When I got this book to read I didn't realize that it was apart of a "series."  Apparently the author has several more books about the main character, Raleigh Harmon.  I really appreciate the fact that it was not hard to pick this book up & read without having read any other "Raleigh Harmon Novels" as the author describes them.  It was great that I had no trouble connecting to Raleigh & was easily filled in on her life situation.  I don't feel that I missed out by not having read any of her other books.

I really enjoyed this book- it was a light and quick read.  I would recommend this book to others.  4 out of 5 stars.

(Book was provided by booksneeze.com.  Thanks booksneeze!)

No comments:

Post a Comment