Monday, July 6, 2009

Rome

Sorry, the last post got a little long and out of control. I will try not to write every little detail, and I'll try to just let the pictures do the talking on this one. Anyways, Rome was the next stop on our trip, and it was AMAZING. Lantz and I both really enjoyed Rome, and we both learned alot. We stayed in a really nice bed and breakfast right by the Vatican City called Ancient Romance. Michael, the owner, was really nice, and the place was in a perfect location and it was very new and modern. (See photo of room below.) I recommend it if you ever go to Rome.

We were in Rome for 2 full days, and boy did we pack those days full of sight seeing. There is just so much to see in Rome and it is so full of history. This post could easily get out of control quickly, but I'll try not to let that happen. We booked 3 tours, and did 2 the first day. (There was alot of drama surrounding our first tour, but I won't get into all that.)

On our first tour we saw the Colosseum, the Roman Forum, the Arch of Titus, the Arch of Constatine, and Palatine Hill. Because I'm not telling you every detail, I'll just say a few things. The Colosseum was so incredible. I couldn't believe it. To hear about how Christians were tormented and ridiculed in the Colosseum and how they lost their lives because they would not renounce Christ strengthened my own faith. It's hard to imagine what they had to endure because of their beliefs, and had it not been for them standing up for Christ then possibly Christianity might not have spread so quickly. I think that everyone should try to go see the Colosseum- it really was incredible. I can't believe that it's so old, and yet it's still standing.

The Roman Forum was probably one of my most favorite things. To be where Paul and Peter preached and to know that they were there proclaiming Christ was so powerful. I can't believe that the ruins of the city are still so in tact. (I mean- it's just "rubble," but it's all still there in the middle of this very modern, big city.) It was also cool to go up onto Palatine Hill and overlook the Roman Forum and the city. It was absolutely breath taking.

Later that night we did another tour in which we saw the Fountain of 4 Rivers, the Trevi, and the Pantheon. The Pantheon was much cooler than I thought it was going to be, and it was so big. Lantz threw a penny in the Trevi Fountain over his left shoulder... I think that means he'll be going back to Rome one day.

The next day before we went to the Vatican City for our 3rd tour we went to see the Spanish Steps. Very cool- but there were alot of people there. We started our tour out in the Vatican Museum. I learned alot of really interesting things about Michaelangelo that I never knew before and tons about art. (I'm not really a museum person, but I did enjoy that day and the stories that our guide shared with us.... again- I won't go into detail.) Of course, we got to see the Sistine chapel, and that was really incredible. I don't think I would have really been able to appreciate it as much as I did if our guide didn't explain so much of the detail to us, but again- I'll spare you.

We also went to the Vatican "square" or courtyard outside of Peter's Basilica. We were going to go in, but they shut it down for church service, and when they had opened it back up there was a HUGE line, and we were both like... "uh.. no thanks..." Peter's Basilica was supposedly where Peter was crucified upside down and buried, and they built the church over it. This is also where the Pope lives. We waved "hello" to him. (No, we didn't really see him. Although we did have a conversation debating on which room was his.)

We ate some awesome food in Rome! One place we ate at was Latavennella. It was sooooo yummy. Lantz and I both enjoyed our meal here. We had to wait until like 7:30, because that is when all the "good" restaurants open. We learned that "good" and "authentic" restaurants don't stay open between lunch and dinner and that they yummy places don't open until later- 7:30 and the earliest. (Don't people have to get up and go to work?) Lantz had a tomato based pasta and I had a egg based pasta. Very different- it was like hard boiled eggs mushed up with different things over pasta... it was so rich, but super yummy. It was of course what the waiter recommended. We also both had brushetta with tomato, garlic, and olive oil.... heavenly!

We also took photos of the Colosseum and the Vatican at night. They were both very pretty, and it was cool to get to experience these things at night and not just during the day.

There... that wasn't so bad. I did good keeping it to a minimum, but I'll warn you that there are lots of photos in the slide show. Enjoy!




Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Your trip looked so fun!!! I love all of the pictures. Hope all is well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Rome. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad Rome was better than Venice :) Loved the pictures, and I love that black dress with the ribbing around the neck! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful--I'm definitely taking notes for when we take a trip to Europe, whenever that may be! :) Rome looked amazing--I love the pictures. What kind of camera do you have--you got some awesome shots!

    ReplyDelete