Monday, July 20, 2009

Confessions of a Shopaholic


Saturday night when Lantz and I got home from Portland we rented the movie, Confessions of a Shopaholic. I was so excited, cause Lantz picked the movie out, and I was expecting him to get a boy movie, but he didn't. He knew that I had been wanting to see it, and so he picked it out for me. (How sweet...) Anyways, this was a really cute movie and I really enjoyed it. Of course it was a chick flick and so of course there were super cheesy parts to it, but that's what I love about chick flicks.

But, I also enjoyed this movie because I think that there are alot of spiritual issues that I think it raises. It's a great movie to look at the implications of shopping, materialism, and greed. I watched the movie thinking, "How in the world could someone spend so much money on clothes," and "she really doesn't need that..." But you know even though I don't spend that kind of money on clothes I do buy things all the time that I don't "need." It's amazing how much Satan has a grasp on the little things in our lives, and how he is able to convince us that it's okay. Now, I don't think it's bad to shop, but I do think like anything in our lives it can lead to sin if we place things above our relationship with God- like the girl in the movie- that's all she thought about and wanted to do, and was even willing to lie to herself and others to continue it.

It also raises the topic of where are you finding fulfillment and love in this world. For Becky she was finding it in the clothes that she was able to buy. Even the beginning quote in the movie expressed how she would find joy in her purchases and then they would loose their impact and she would have to buy something else to bring her that joy. At the end she discussed finding a love that would not "decline" her like her credit card. Now, even though she found that love in a relationship with a boy, we as Christians know that the only way to find love without ever being "declined" is through Jesus Christ. What an amazing message: We cannot find fulfillment, love, or acceptance through things, but only through the One that loves us unconditionally.

Anyways, it was a good movie that made me think. If you have not seen it I would recommend it. Lantz even enjoyed it too!
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. It sounds good. I am needing some good movies to rent right now. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i totally forgot that you guys are in las vegas! it was sooo hot there last week....how do you stand it? it is beautiful, though....i bet it's fun to live there!

    ReplyDelete