Monday, May 4, 2009

Utah Camping Trip

The camping trip up to Mount Zion National Park was so awesome! This was a family trip, and so things were much less stressful than the last time we took the kids camping with just us and two other chaperons. We met people up at the church building at 3:30 and headed 2 and a half hours up to Mt. Zion.

When we got there we put up our tents and set up the "kitchen" area. That night we roasted hot dogs and had Chilean style dogs. If you've never had a Chilean style dog then you are really missing out. We have some people at our church who were missionaries in Chili, and they showed us how to make authentic hot dogs that people in that culture would eat. First you boil the dogs so that the don't split, and then you grill them. Add the dog to the bun and then add: mashed up avocados, mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, sauerkraut, diced onion and diced tomato. HOLY COW. They are amazing. I know, I know... I thought that they sounded yucky at first too, but I will never go back to a normal hot dog ever again!

To end our first night we roasted marshmallows and made smores and turned in
. It was kinda fun cause it rained that night, and so we slept to the sound of the river splashing beside us and rain drops thudding against our tent. I didn't get wet (we had the rain cover on), but Lantz said that he got a couple of drops on the face.

We woke early the next morning and had an amazing breakfast of fresh coffee, pancakes, turkey bacon, eggs, and orange juice. We soon cleaned up for the day and split up into two groups. One group went hiking up in Mount Zion, and the other went to Kolob Reservoir to fish. Lantz and I along with 5 others went fishing. It was crazy... we got up there and the temperature dropped like 30 degrees. It was 47, and half the lake was still frozen. It was so cold, and at one point it even started raining on us (good thing I had my new cute purple rain coat- remember the post? Click HERE if not and you want to read about it!)

Lantz is really not a fisherman. He doesn't really enjoy it as much as I do. It may be because every time we go I catch something, and he doesn't. Well, this time the tables were all turned. Lantz ended up catching 3 fish (with an extra one that was on his line, but got away last second), and I didn't catch a one. My pink fishing pole was not so lucky... maybe if I had the super nice one from Sportsman Authority I would have done better. (Click HERE if you didn't read about the pink fishing pole.) I'm not really bummed out, because I love to fish regardless if I catch something or not. It's probably a good thing that he finally had success, because otherwise I may not have ever gotten him to go with me again. Anyways, he caught 3- one being 19 and 1/2 inches long!!! Can you believe that? Isn't that so awesome?? You could only keep them if they were longer than 18 inches, and so we got to keep his and cook it that night. One of the boys, Nick, also caught one (19 inches), but the rest of us didn't have any luck. It was such a nice a relaxing afternoon, and it was so beautiful to eat our packed lunches by the lake and snow.... yes I did say snow... there was still quit a bit not melted yet.

We got back to camp and cleaned up and the two groups swapped stories about our adventures. We ended up having hamburgers, dutch oven potatoes, baked beans, and of course some yummy trout for dinner. Yummy! We turned in a pretty late considering how packed our day was.

Sunday, we got up ate another fantastic breakfast (same as Saturday), and enjoyed a nice worship time. After worship we started breaking down all of our tents, and some of us went up to the pool at the resort to lay out since it was so nice! We came back for left overs and super yummo dutch oven cobbler. Then we loaded up the dirty truck (it got all muddy heading up to the fishing spot), and headed back home. I had so much fun, and can't wait until we do another trip like this one. I'll leave you with a few photos from the trip.


<span class=

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun! I love camping trips, especially when it's a little cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like TOO much fun! I am very jealous actually! And maybe I missed something but I NEVER remember you going fishing back in the day? When did you pick that up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess...i waited all day yesterday and today for a phone call to ask me to come and pick up some fish........should i keep hoping?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your trip looks like so much fun! Utah looks beautiful--how did your little pouch do that you packed in?? did you end up taking something else?

    ReplyDelete