Sunday, February 1, 2009

Dear John

This morning after church I finished Dear John by Nicholas Sparks. I could not put this book down. Although I've never had a favorite Sparks book, I might now. To be honest, I didn't think I'd really like it as much as the other ones I've read, but it may just be my favorite one now.

It is about a rebellious young man named John. He was raised solely by his father, whom he feels he barely knows due to the quiet, routine nature of his dad. He drifted into alot of trouble, but eventually joins the Army. He grows up while in the service, and while home on furlough one summer he meets the girl of his dreams, Savannah. Now Savannah and John are really nothing alike, but their hearts connect, and I must say that I was rooting for them to make it through the whole book. John eventually leaves the States and is stationed back over seas. While he is there 9/11 happens. With this tragic event of our country, can their relationship last??

John learns about himself, his father, and what true love really is in this book. I cried alot, so have your tissues ready. I was really sad when this book ended- I didn't want it to because it was so good. I found myself with strong mixed feelings about the end. I liked the ending, and yet I longed for something else. Part of me hopes that Sparks will have a second book to follow more of John's journey through life. Read it. I'm sure you'll get as much out of it as I did.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment